Being from the Northwest I love love love clam chowder. It’s been so cold today at our house and it just seemed fitting to make clam chowder with some good biscuits. While I love my mom’s recipe I thought I’d try a new one which I absolutely loved…so I will pass this along to my mom. If you are finding yourself chilly and you like clams, this will hit the spot!
1. 1 1/2 pints shucked clams or three 6.5 oz cans minced clams (I used canned)
2. 6 slices of bacon
3. 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (3 medium) (I used half of an onion)
4. 3/4 cup finely chopped celery (3 stalks)
5. 1/2 cup dry white wine (I didn’t have any white wine so I used a couple of Tbl of white vinegar and the rest water)
6. 2 tsp instant chicken bouillon granules
7. 3 cups chopped, peeled potatoes (3 large)
8. 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
9. 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
10. 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
11. 3 cups milk
12. 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
13. 3 TBL all-purpose flour
14. 3/4 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or Parmesan cheese (3oz)
If using, chop fresh clams, reserving juice; set clams aside. Strain clam juice to remove bits of shell. (Or drain canned clams, reserving the juice.) If necessary, add enough water to the reserved clam juice to make 1-1/2 cups total liquid; set aside.
2.In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble bacon and set aside. Add onions and celery to bacon drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until tender.
3.Stir in wine; bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the reserved clam juice, potatoes, bouillon granules, thyme, black pepper, and crushed red pepper into Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. With the back of a fork, mash potatoes slightly against side of pan.
4.In a medium bowl stir together milk, whipping cream, and flour; add to potato mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in clams and the 3/4 cup cheese. Reduce heat. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle each serving with crumbled bacon and, if desired, parsley and additional cheese.