- 2 whole Portobello Mushroom Caps (I made three and had plenty of stuffing)
- Olive Oil
- ½ pounds Bulk Italian Sausage, Or Links With Casings Removed (I probably used about 3/4 lb to make it a little meatier for my man)
- 2 teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (a sprinkle because I fed it to my 2 1/2 yr old and didn’t want it too spicy)
- 1 whole Onion (half an onion)
- 1 bulb Fresh Fennel (didn’t have it)
- 1 whole Bell Pepper, Any Color (about 3/4)
- 3 stalks Celery
- 4 cloves Garlic (2 cloves and it was PLENTY)
- 3 sprigs Rosemary
- ¾ cups White Wine (can Substitute Stock/broth…I used chicken broth)
- ½ cups Shredded Monterey Jack, Plus Extra For Sprinkling
- 4 slices Good Sandwich Bread, Toasted And Cubed
- 1 whole Egg, Lightly Beaten
Preheat oven to 450F.
Wipe the portobellos clean with a paper towel and scrape out the gills with a spoon. Drizzle enough olive oil in the bottom of a glass baking dish to coat. Place portobello caps in the baking dish, top down, drizzle with oil, and set aside.
Brown sausage in a large skillet with a little bit of olive oil and the crushed red pepper over medium high heat.
While the sausage is browning, dice the onion, fennel, and bell pepper, chop the celery, and slice the garlic as thin as you can get it.
Remove the rosemary leaves from the stems and finely chop. Add the veggies and garlic and rosemary to the skillet and saute with the sausage until crisp-tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the wine to deglaze the pan and allow to cook for another 5 minutes or so.
Stir in the shredded cheese and bread cubes. The bread cubes should soak up whatever wine remains in the pan.
Taste it at this point, and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (or more red pepper!). Stir in the beaten egg. The stuffing mixture should seem a little wet.
Mound stuffing mixture into portobello caps. It’s ok to pack it down a little bit to make sure that it stays in place.
Sprinkle with a little extra shredded cheese. Bake at 450F for 35-40 minutes or until the portobello is tender and the stuffing is golden brown.